Subject: Re: [Leica] New Holy War--Film Scanners
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 22:15:55 -0700

on 07/02/03 9:44 AM, Martin Howard at mvhoward@mac.com wrote:

> Excuse me!??  You first smugly hint that you have information that is
> relevant to someone's genuine concern, but refuse to give it.  Then,
> when prompted, you turn around and tell me to RTFM??

I said what my preference is, and I mentioned some issues involved. And I
say do some research because in the end, with all the choices out there,
that person needs to figure out what's right for them. How can I, sitting
thousands of miles away, and know knowing their level of expertise,
pontificate on what is good for them?

Your leaving in just my research comment and cutting out the rest of what I
said, I'd say you are not being fair.

I pointed him in the right direction and said go for it. I wasn't being
short with him. But I'm certainly not prepared to tell what is good for
every one on this list. Just what's good for me. The Epson 2200, good inks
for it and the right paper. What more does one need to know? That there
alternatives, and that one needs to find out what they are.

So, if I say too definitively what I think, I get jumped on for making
hyperbolic claims for my preferences being absolutely superior to all
others, and my taste being the only valid one.

If I offer some direction on where to go, I get jumped on for holding back.

There's just no winning for losing.

Martin, if you don't have anything better to contribute, why are you wasting
bandwidth with this distorted complaint?
- --
Eric
Carlsbad, CA

"It has been rumored that we have fired scud missiles into Kuwait. I am here
now to tell you, we do not have any scud missiles and I don't know why they
were fired into Kuwait."

- -Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf, Iraqi Minister of Information

Replies: Reply from "Nelson Chan" <cchan@info.com.ph> (Re: [Leica] New Holy War--Film Scanners)