Subject: RE: [Leica] Documentary Photography 2003
From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@proxyma.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 14:39:52 -0400

In the end, Big Brother always wins.

A few years ago, I was on assignment in an antique eastern land that shall remain
nameless. Its government had allowed me extensive and impressive access to things and
places in the country, delighting me and my employers. I spent several weeks there,
with some 50 rolls the result, which I packed into my carry-on luggage for safe
return home. As I left the country, I was burning with anticipation to see the
processed film.

Imagine my horror when, while watching the hand inspection of my bags at Heathrow, I
realized that the films tumbling out of my Ziplocs weren't my rolls of Velvia and
Kodachrome, but rather an equal number of Kodak colour negative film.

Prior to my departure from that antique eastern land, the authorities had switched my
exposed films for their unexposed rolls.

Sometimes, you may take pictures but cannot have them too.

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal