Subject: [Leica] Documentary Photography 2003
From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@proxyma.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 18:55:30 -0400

George Lottermoser wrote:

"I wondered where on this earth I could run to, where I may find some children
playing in water in the heat of summer time, back lit by afternoonıs setting sunŠ a
place where I might create a joyful photograph of that simple pleasure which would
bring a smile to every viewer and allow them to remember those times in their own
lives when water and sun and time were free to enjoy."

George, you may continue doing this only in the bygone realm of yesterday, a kinder,
gentler time when the back door was left unlocked and the milkman delivered and only
perverts bought skin magazines.

I've been forbidden to take snapshots at my 7-year-old son's swimming class at the
local Y -- even while he was in the pool!

While Tina is right that public candid photography is still possible in the Third
World, this too is steadily withering as the local people realize how much $ even a
single published photo may be worth to the photographer.

It was mentioned a while back on the LUG that the 20th century will go down as the
only one so thoroughly recorded on film. Some of the reasons may be ascertained from
your recent experience.

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal