Subject: Re: [Leica] New Holy War--Film Scanners
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 07:11:01 -0700

on 07/01/03 10:46 PM, Martin Howard at mvhoward@mac.com wrote:

> Eric Welch wrote:
>
>> If you have an excellent printer (read: better than simple desktop
>> printers)
>> you can produce images that are indistinguishable from darkroom-printed
>> prints - up to a certain size.
>
> OK, so spill the beans: which printers qualify as excellent?  Up to
> what size can you produce prints which are indistinguishable from
> darkroom-printed prints?  What are the factors?  And what does it all
> cost?

Do some research. But the top printers from Canon, HP or Epson should do the
trick. My choice would be the Epson 2200 - costs about $699. It can do up to
13x19.

Many factors are involved. A good quality image to start with (shutter speed
and depth of field are appropriate, lighting good). Then you have to use at
least a 6-ink printer. Don't believe any four-ink printer that claims it can
do a top quality job. (Hmmm...when was the last time I heard a printer
talk?) :-)

Use the manufacturer-specified ink, or ink you're willing to put some time
into researching and testing. As we all know, inks are the major expense
over time. Paper is important too. Use manufacturer-specified paper unless
you're willing to do a lot of research.

And then practice and a willingness to calibrate your system (not to
mention, waste paper and ink in the process). Again, do the research.

Thinks are evolving fast.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

There is nothing so stupid as an educated man, if you get off the thing that
he was educated in. - Will Rogers