Subject: [Leica] Photo Ops for San Luis Obispo?
From: "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@clearsightusa.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 13:37:46 -0700

Robert (Teresa299@aol.com) requested photo info for San Luis Obispo,
California.

Unfortunately I missed reading his message. Unfortunately especially because
I live in SLO and would have liked to meet him.

For future reference, all LUG and HUG are welcome to contact me when in SLO.
I would be glad to act as guide to anyone interested in seeing the local
sights. also, while I am no expert in single malt whiskey, I do make
award-winning wines.
Joe: 805 543-3985

As for what is photogenic in this areas, here is a list of the highlights.

SLO: Mission, Farmers Market.
The Mission is not the best one but definitely a historical landmark.
The market is a chaotic social event that includes fresh fruits and
vegetables as well as music, political propaganda, local crafts, and a
smattering of other must-see demographic extravaganza.

Los Osos (Spanish for "the bears") (12 miles west of SLO)
A most beautiful beach that was once a sea port for SLO. It has many coves
and unusual rocky formations.

Avila Beach (12 miles S. of SLO on highway 101):
Avila Beach, Diablo Canyon, Wharf.
Avila Beach has a  renovated beach front after Unical was forced to pay for
environmental damage.
Diablo Canyon is the local nuclear (or is it nukelier?) power plant.
The wharf offers two good restaurants, one of which makes a decent cioppino.

Pismo Beach:
Monarch butterflies, Pier, Fish & chip and clam chowder restaurants.
Pismo has a long and colorful history
(http://www.classiccalifornia.com/history.htm)
Once the get-away spot for Los Angelinos, was also a community of bohemians
during the Depression.
Monarchs winter here and can be seen in great numbers just 2 miles S. of PB
on Highway 1.
The pier was rebuilt in the 80s and is a favorite promenade.
The Pierside Cafe (by the pier) has the best fish & chip and seafood in
town. The Splash Cafe offers the best New England clam chowder in the world
(their claim and they could be right).

Morro bay (14 miles N. of SLO on highway 1):
http://www.morro-bay.ca.us/
http://www.morrobaysbest.com/
Souvenir shops, Morro Rock, breakwater, fish & chip restaurants.
One of the most interesting shops is the MB Shell Shop with a very
respectable collection of sea shells from around the world.
Morro (Spanish for rock or boulder) Rock is a "hill" of volcanic formation
which is part of the Seven Sisters, a chain of such formations along Highway
1 between SLO and MB. The Rock was mined to construct the breakwater. On
this rock nest Peregrine falcons. with luck they can be seen taking flight.
Giovanni's is the best fish & chip restaurant. Funky but good.

San Simeon (44 miles N. of SLO on highway 1):
http://www.sansimeonsbest.com/
Hearst Castle and the greatest assembly of elephant seals.
The castle, one of the legacies of the late newspaper magnate, has the
greatest private collection of silver artifacts. Three different tours are
offered.
The seals can be seen just off the highway, but the greatest spectacle is
just 200 yards north of there hidden from view. For those who wish further
info, please email me.

Replies: Reply from "Eve Girard" <evegir@reachone.com> (Re: [Leica] Photo Ops for San Luis Obispo?)
Message from Slobodan Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Photo op suggestions for San Luis Obispo?)
Message from Dennis Painter <dennis@hale-pohaku.com> (Re: [Leica] Photo op suggestions for San Luis Obispo?)