Subject: Re: [Leica] Documentary Photography 2003
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 15:03:23 -0400

At 01:18 PM 7/1/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>         No longer will we see images of these spontaneous activities in
> their reality where a group of children composed of all skin shades and
> ethnicity, rich and poor, play together in reality. Wešll have to rely on
> the stock subject photographers, who will rent the fountain, pay the kids
> parents and give you that bland crap that appears in every stock shop
> catalog; plastic overworked smiles, too perfect lighting, costumes
> courtesy of the gap in over saturated color.
>         At some point in this 3-hour ordeal I thought, "Itšs time to sell
> all the gear. Documentary Photography has died when you have to rent the
> cypress tree, and get detained by rent-a-cops for photographing children
> playing in water in the summer sun set.
>
>Fond regards,
>
>G e o r g e   L o t t e r m o s e r,    imagist

You are right, George.  This is big problem and something is going to have
to be done.  In the meantime, I make my documentary photographs in places
like Honduras - which is like going back in time about 100 years to a more
innocent time when people still trust each other and feel flattered and not
threatened to have their photos made.  It also helps that I'm a harmless
looking grandmother.

Your experience was horrible but it sounds typical of a lot of stories that
I've heard on the press-photographers list.  Next time, have some business
cards that identify you as a photographer and carry a small portfolio to
show nervous parents that you are a harmless documentary
photographer.  Offer to send prints.   Make a large badge identifying
yourself as a professional photographer.  The more identification you
carry, the better.  At least the police officer reaffirmed that you have
every right to photograph in a public place.  The press photographers have
been harassed and intimidated by police for photographing in public
places.  They usually have to go to a higher officer who knows the law.  By
that time, any photograph they wanted to make is gone.  Combine the
frustration with the low pay, competition, and royalty-free photographs and
it's a terrible time to be a freelance photographer!

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com

photos available from: