Subject: Re: [Leica] R8/R9 Digital Back announced
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 14:03:36 -0700

on 06/26/03 7:19 AM, Austin Franklin at darkroom@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> I can't imagine anyone putting up with a little 6M pixel Bayer pattern
> sensor!

Well, just because you don't know how to get good results from them doesn't
mean it's not possible. I get results clearly superior in terms of sharpness
and grain compared to film (in the studio on an 12 foot tall 200 lb. camera
support system). CMOS sensor, by the way. Why call it Bayer pattern? Who
knows that that means besides people who spend too much time on digicam web
sites?

> P.S. White balance?  Parlez-vous SCANNER?  Er, expense?  I can buy a LOT of
> film and processing for $5000!

Are you kidding? How about $1,500? I would run through that in a month when
I was working for a newspaper and mixing C-41 and E6 in five gallon batches.

You obviously haven't used them enough. I thought the same at first about
white balance. Then I figured out the custom while balance feature.

Scanners cannot remove completely a bad drift of color in unusual light. I
used to use Ektachrome 64T in hot lights, specifically studio lighting
designed for high-end video production, I share a studio with a guy who also
shoots freelance video for Fox and other big Hollywood movie companies. He
knows quality hardware. No matter what, there was a color cast with that
film that could not be corrected by professional graphic artists who are
superb at subtle color correction to get gemstone colors (sapphire blue or
ruby red) as close as possible with the CMYK process. No easy deed.

With a Nikon 4000ED scanner, you can't fix the color in many situations.
Maybe with some more high-end scanners that are a lot more money than the
$5,000 you mention.

When I shot a Leica microscope we sell - which is painted black and white -
with our D60, the color is so neutral you could mistake the photo for a
black and white image except for the red Leica logo. Film can't touch
digital period for shooting in other than daylight. Filters are dead for
color correction with digital. They are not with film, no matter what film
users say.

> P.P.S. If you're Mr. Digi now, then why are you on a Leica list that is
> primarily for film camera users, and little Leica re-branded P&S digicams?

And when did you stop beating your wife?

I still own $25,000 worth of Leica hardware, and I just shot some photos
today on film. My only personal digital camera is a Canon G3 point-and-shoot
(albeit a high-end one).

With this kind of response, I'm tempted to assume the LUG is still full of
petty ill-will that made me leave a couple years ago.

Is it?

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

"A man should be able to classify everything he believes so that he can say:
'This I believe because it is handed down from the Prophets; this I believe
from the evidence of my senses; and this I believe from reason.' Whoever
believes anything that does not fall within these three categories, to him
apply the saying: 'The thoughtless believe every word.'" - Maimonides