Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica IIIc - First RF?
From: tripspud <tripspud@transbay.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 12:52:49 -0700

Hi Jerry,

      Or get ABLON, the Leitz film trimmer for the screwmount cameras.
Around 50 to 60 dollars.  Interestingly, I had originally won an eBay
auction for a 'copy' of ABLON, but backed out of the deal because
the other end was not the right shape to cut the film to put into the
Leitz cassettes.  If the end is cut right, the design is such that
it is unnecessary to tape the film to the spool.

      I'm still working on getting these Leitz cassettes to fit in my
Canon IVSb.  I've  had to do some filing down of the end knob
on the cassettes, as the Canon will not latch at the bottom
correctly without filing.

      If you don't use an ABLON or it's aftermarket, be careful
in making the cut.  The angle can cause an overcut and it's
possible to tear the film.  A small piece of film can jam up
these cameras if it gets caught up in the mechanism.

Cheers,

Rich Lahrson
Berkeley, California
tripspud@transbay.net