Subject: Re: [Leica] Introduction
From: frank theriault <knarf.theriault@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 12:26:19 -0400

Hi, Bruce,

I know SonC already gave a short answer to your query about the CL/Minolta question,
but just to expand a bit, as I understand it, the Leica CL was a joint design
project between Leica and Minolta.  All bodies were made in Japan by Minolta.  Most
bodies say Leica CL on them, but "made in Japan for Leitz Wetzlar" on the bottom
plate.  A few bodies (I think intended for the Japanese market?) are badged
"Leitz/Minolta CL" (or maybe Leica/Minolta?).

All the lenses were made in Germany, including (as SonC also pointed out) the lens
badged Rokkor 4.0 90mm.

Minolta also made the CLE, with the same M mount, but it was a completely different
body, designed with no input from Leica.  It was an aperture priority electronic
shutter camera, which now fetches a fair bit more than CL bodies, despite the fact
that it's more prone to breakdowns, and parts are next to impossible to get.

cheers,
frank