Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica IIIc - First RF?
From: Howard Sanner <flagstad@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 21:12:29 -0400

	Several people have made excellent points in this thread. I'll try
to emulate their good example.

	I have about half a dozen screwmount Leicas ranging from a IIIa to
a IIIf RD, with most models in between. I thoroughly enjoy using
every one of these mechanical jewels. They are fully capable
picture takers, even today, and the Leitz lenses from the 1930s
are quite good, taken on their own terms, if less sharp and
contrasty and more prone to flare than modern lenses from any
major manufacturer.

	However, for someone used even to a manual SLR (e.g., a Nikon F
with FTn finder), they are like something from a parallel
universe. Be prepared for major culture shock.

	Honestly, I agree with whoever suggested getting a used M6 for
starters. That will only seem like something from a different
planet. <g> You should be able to find a mechanically sound for
well under $1000 in today's (buyer's) market.

	If you do get a screwball Leica, I'd suggest a IIIf red dial. The
shutters stay in adjustment better, for one thing.

	My suggestion for ANY Leica older than an M6 is to find one that
has had a recent CLA, preferably with new shutter curtains. My
experience with screwmount cameras is that if the curtains aren't
bad when you buy it, they will be shortly if you put it back into
service. Purchase price + CLA always, in my experience, comes to
more than you can sell the camera for. For example, I have a IIIc
for which I paid a quite reasonable $350. However, it soon needed
new curtains. Since that requires a full teardown, there's no
point in not having a CLA at the same time. So that added $225 or
so. Who, in his right mind, is going to pay $600 or so for a IIIc
in good user condition?

	I think I've gotten my best deals from LUG members, taking into
account price and quality of goods. YMMV.

	Enough free association for tonight.

					Howard Sanner
					flagstad@mindspring.com