Subject: [Leica] Bob Shell
From: "Irving Greines" <igreines@GMSR.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 11:28:17 -0700

I agree with Chandos.  In my view, Mr. Shell's attorney would be better advised to save his arguments for a jury.  I believe that attempting to "try" a case on a photo forum or on the web does not rate highly on the professional scale.

As for the defense fund the attorney is attempting to solicit (I assume, for his own personal benefit), I can't conceive why I would be motivated to contribute.  If Mr. Shell cannot afford his own counsel, a public defender's assistance is available to him, without charge. In many jurisdictions, defense by an experienced public defender is better than defense by many private counsel.

I have no clue whether Mr. Shell is or is not guilty, and I don't particularly care.  A jury will decide, and justice will eventually be done.  There was an unfortunate death that occurred in Mr. Shell's studio, under circumstances that command explanation.  Mr. Shell is either guilty or innocent.  If he's guilty, then punishment is appropriate, regardless of his stature or lack of stature in the photographic community.

As for me, the types of photos Mr. Shell published over the years in Shutterbug speak volumes.