Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica IIIc - First RF?
From: tripspud <tripspud@transbay.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 07:53:45 -0700

Hi Nathan,

      My first Leica was a screwmount IIIa with a Summar 50/2.
I used an M3 with an Elmar 50/2.8 some years ago.  For the
last few years I've carried a Zorki I with it's Industar-22 50/3.5
clone of the Elmar 50/3.5, I picked up another one.  Then, liking
the smaller size of the Zorki, I got a Leica D.  Then I wanted to
wind on faster, couldn't afford a Leicavit, or the older winder for
the Leica D, so I bought a Canon IVSb with the Canon Rapid Winder.
I also found an unnumbered Elmar 50/3.5 uncoated for the Leica D.

     I guess my point is that the screwmount cameras are completely
usable choice for those with less money to spend on gear.  I wanted
three bodies and cannot afford three M bodies.  I realize my experience
is different than the novice who has not used an M series.

      I've just received the Canon IVSb and the 12 metal Leitz cassettes
would not quite allow the baseplate Rapid Winder, or the standard baseplate,
to close fully.  I was able to file an 1/8 of an ince off the bottom of the
spool's
knurled end the small 'button', to make it work.  Now, I've got 11 more to
fix.

      BTW, the Leica D with it's Elmar lens weighs only 500 grams and fits
in a shirt pocket.  I carry it always or the Zorki.  I had not intended to
be 'only screwmount cameras' but that's how it is.

Cheers,

Rich Lahrson
Berkeley, California
tripspud@transbay.net