Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital Back - I like the first step!
From: "Kit McChesney | acmefoto" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 14:32:45 -0600

Martin et al--

Know what? Speaking from a marketer/seller perspective, I can tell you that
logic doesn't always determine why people buy things. There is a great deal
of emotion involved in purchases of Beautifully Crafted Expensive Objects.
Hello, Madison Avenue!

Leica fans believe the experience of using a Leica is unique. This list is a
testament to that fact. Whether that unique experience is an intrinsic
quality of the equipment itself or from the psyche of the person holding the
equipment, or a combination of the two, is best left to the cognitive
psychologists. When the D-LUX came out, I was a bit skeptical about how well
it would do, but indeed, it has been a great seller, even though it has
fewer features than the Digilux 1, and costs more! Whoda thunk?

As for buying expensive goodies and enjoying them, there are those who would
never be able to tell the difference between driving a Chevy Cavalier and an
Aston-Martin, just as there are those who can't tell the difference between
Bud Light and a really nice micro-brew. Leica's market is small compared to
the rest of the camera market, and no one could argue otherwise. Isn't that
kind of the point? That quality isn't available in mass quantity?

As far as what the Digital Module R will be when it emerges from production
in a year and a half, that remains to be seen, regardless of whether Leica's
tech expert at the press conference says the specs will or will not change.
I think anything can happen in 18 months. Didn't Karen say that the image of
the camera on the site is a doctored Photoshop document? That's pretty
funny, I think. Maybe they'll have a digital body ready for market by then.
Who knows? I suspect they will not introduce a product in 2004 that is
obsolete. I can't imagine they'll shoot themselves in the foot.

What I find really hilarious is how many people will argue themselves silly
over something they profess to care so little about--"couldn't care
less"--or say they do. Funny how actions and words often part ways! Kind of
like that old adage about fools and their money!

Kit ;-)