Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital Back - I like the first step!
From: Simon Lamb <simon@sclamb.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 20:02:14 +0100

On 26/6/03 8:00 pm, "Frank Farmer" <frankandaubrey@mindspring.com> wrote:

> SNIP
>
> "Also, Leica believe that 10MP is enough and the
> quality is there (well, it is if Kodak do a better job than they did on
> the
> 14n!)"
>
> I believe it was mentioned in the press conference that the chip in the 14n is
> not a Kodak chip.  As a matter of fact, they mentioned that that was common
> knowledge.  Ok, so I didn't know that.  I did know that there were numerous
> complaints about that camera but I also thought that Kodak made the chip.
> Apparantly they did not.  Hopefully, the "new" Kodak chip in the Modul R will
> not suffer the problems of its cousin in the 14n.
>
> Frank

Well, Kodak must have QA'd the 14n and it does have some problems and flaws
to iron out.  Thanks goodness Leica will be QA''ing the RD.  And there can
be great comfort about Imacon doing the software thing.

Those last two assuming everyone has forgotten about the QA issues with
early R8s and the fact that Imacon spent ages producing rubbish FlexColor
software for the Windows platform before actually getting a stable release.

Wonder what the Digilux 2 will be like - it was mentioned briefly during the
conference.  5 or 6MP, large screen (as now), ISO 100-1600 with useable
quality (unlike now).  ISO 100 images from that baby are superb, so the next
version should be truly stunning.

Simon