Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: leica digital
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 08:44:31 -0400

Austin Franklin wrote:
> Rolfe,
>

>>Why don't you guys just go to Leica's site and watch/listen to the news
>>conference where all these questions (and more) were answered in detail.
>

> Helpful would have been to provide a link...AND as a note, not everyone can
> play media files...  I tried, and it just doesn't work on my system, which
> is a very standard Windows 2000 installation...  I've never seen "webPK"
> media before either...and it certainly isn't something that is very
> standard...and I don't have time to spend screwing around with their silly
> hotline.

You're quite right about the link. It had already been posted numerous
times so I thought everyone was aware of it. Also, you can navigate
there from the Leica home page. I think if you can play either Windows
or Realplayer streaming media, you should be able to play the news
conference. On my G4 running OSX, it "just worked".

>>And no, there is no anti-aliasing filter.
>

> I was talking in general.  An anti-aliasing filter is common with Bayer
> pattern CCDs, and it is only the latest crop of high resolution sensors that
> it is not used.  So, YES, typically there is an anti-aliasing filter that
> has to be accommodated, whether Leica chose to use one or not in this
> implementation doesn't change that fact.
>
> BTW, where does it say they don't use an anti-aliasing filter?

In the press conference. Imacon says they can do it in software and you
will be able to turn the moire filter on or off on a shot by shot basis
as needed.

BTW, one thing that hasn't been noted is that Imacon has a reputation
for producing excellent software.

>>Sheesh.
>

> Sheesh, WHAT, Rolfe?  If someone wants to ask a question, why would you have
> a problem with that?

It's just that questions and uninformed answers were being batted around
when the answers are sitting right there on the Leica site.

No offense intended -- this is the LUG, after all :-).

Rolfe

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014