Subject: Re: [Leica] Film is Archival
From: Jeff S <four_season_photo@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 16:57:09 -0700 (PDT)

>Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 08:50:14 -0700
>From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
>Subject: Re: [Leica] Film is Archival
>
>I took my research for my masters, which was done on
>some old DOS word processing program, and upgraded it
to >an OS/2 word processor called DeScribe. I'm still
>waiting to convert it once more to my Mac OS X
Microsoft >Word. I'd make it ASCII, but then I'd lose
>allformatting.

A suggestion: Do not archive data in proprietary
formats such as Word: RTF is a widely-supported open
standard, and it'll retain most text formatting just
fine. For photos, I'd prefer uncompressed TIFFs to
say, Photosphop documents, and I might want to archive
them  on ISO9660-standard CD-ROMs , not Apple's HFS+,
(and on CD-R, not CD-RW). I think few people are
dilligent enough to keep updating their file formats
and media every few years, and that RTF, TIFF and
ISO9660 are fairly safe bets for the lazy. Since
you've got a OS X, you can also save files as .tar.gz
(older, but widely supported) or .tar.bz2 (more
efficient) compressed archives.

My latest photos are on black-and-white film, taken
with the Leica R4sP + 35/2.8 Elmarit-R. Sometimes it
seems easier than dealing with all of the above ;-)

Jeff