Subject: Re: [Leica] Handled the MP - Patina
From: Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 08:54:06 +1000

Yeah, what Martin said.

Last year I hired a young, budding (and good) professional photographer
to help me with a soccer tournament.  His gear was second hand, or
borrowed, and it bore the marks of serious and none too gentle use.  He
noted how new all of my gear looked and said "You need to knock your
stuff around a bit more, it can take it!"  My response was "I don't
mind if my gear is scuffed or rubbed from regular use in the hands of a
careful owner, but what I don't want is dings, cracks or bits broken
off, like your stuff!".  Such damage can mean reliability or
calibration problems, and no professional photographer would want
those, ie, a pro should be careful with his gear, not rough.

Each time I talk to this young fella he asks if I'm selling anything -
he knows it's in good nick.

I don't know how I'd feel about that first good scratch on a black
paint MP .....

Rick.