Subject: Re: [Leica] Film is Archival
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 08:50:14 -0700

on 06/21/03 7:55 AM, Jim Laurel at jplaurel@nwlink.com wrote:

> On the other
> hand, I have all my college papers in a file, still readable by any human
> eye.

I took my research for my masters, which was done on some old DOS word
processing program, and upgraded it to an OS/2 word processor called
DeScribe. I'm still waiting to convert it once more to my Mac OS X Microsoft
Word. I'd make it ASCII, but then I'd lose all formatting.

The world advances, but there is no way there is going to be such a fast
transition that we won't be able to save our CDs and DVDs with photos on
them when storage goes molecular and we won't ever have to erase anything
again. Just build a good database.

At work, we're installing a $500,000 digital assets management system (Teams
by Artesia, same program Getty uses for 88 million photos). I see the future
of my digital photos which I have been shooting every week since last
September with a Canon D60. They're going to be in a high-end storage medium
that will always be upgraded properly and in a timely manner. My
professional work is safe for the foreseeable future.

And I see the same potential at home. I have 400 gigs of storage on my G4.
And storage is getting so cheap, that with proper backups, I'll never have
to archive to CDs again.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre
minds. -- Albert Einstein