Subject: Re: [Leica] Film is Archival, Digital is not!
From: Ken Firestone <kenf@speakeasy.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 10:49:50 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, A. Lal wrote:

<SNIP>

   I am sure that members of this list will not be surprised to learn that virtuallly alll have faded, except for the  Kodachromes. It
   is for this reason that I have never used any E-6 emulsions; the short-term advantages are simply not worth the loss of images in
   the long term. List members singing the praises of Fuji or Kodak E-6 emulsions need to be aware of this fact.

No, this does not suprise me. I remember back when we were using E-2
and E-4 processing, I was told that the way to make things archival
was to have color seperation negs made. These could be used to create
color prints, which also were far from archival. I also remember
Cibachrome making claims for long life of their prints.

I suspect the more recent color materials have improved. But all the
problems people have pointed out for digital are true. Anyone try to
play an 8 track tape lately? What about 8" and 5 1/4" floppy discs,
which at one time came in a dozen (so it seemed) formats? The machines
for these are long gone, and we are only talking the last 20 years.