Subject: Re: [Leica] Film is Archival
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 07:52:48 -0700

Digital can be archival. It's just not automatic yet.
I have digital archives that date back to 1967, which is when I first started keeping digital information that mattered to me. It is now 36 years later, and I still have all of it. Today my digital archives are about 100GB; I think that they didn't exceed 10MB until 1970.

The "secret" is very simple. Make a copy onto two different media every 5 years. At least one of those media will still be around in 5 more years, and you can repeat the process.

Currently my digital archives live in 3 forms:
	IDE hard drives that are turned off and sealed
	DVD ROMs (33 ROMs hold everything)
	DDS3 DAT tapes (10 tapes hold everything)

I also keep everything online on regular servers.

At some point in the future some new storage technology will come along, and I will copy my archives onto that. I suspect that if I die before a truly archival technology comes along, my children will have no trouble reading any of the archival media and continuing this tradition of copying should that be what they want.

I also have boxes and boxes of B&W photographic prints processed to be archival. Those will outlast the cockroaches.

Replies: Reply from "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com> (Re: [Leica] Film is Archival)
Reply from tripspud <tripspud@transbay.net> (Re: [Leica] Film is Archival)
Message from "A. Lal" <alal@duke.poly.edu> (Re: [Leica] Film is Archival)