Subject: Re: [Leica] HDTV goes back to the future - and records on TAPE!
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 11:05:51 -0700

On 2003-06-19 chmilar@mminternet.com (Michael Chmilar) thoughtfully
wrote:

>This is true. D-VHS has been available for over a year. It is also
possible
>to record HDTV to a hard drive in a PC. An HD TiVo is due this fall.
>Sony is selling a blu-ray DVD burner now. It costs $14,000. The
requirement
>for any HDTV recording device is it must capture 19.7 Mbps.

HDTV - the real 1080i - is still beyond the reach of mere mortals - the
data rates are immense.

But...combined with clever MPEG2 encoding etc etc that can be handled.

I'm not sure why the surprise about using tape to record HDTV...it's the
primary recording source for all video. What did you think they were
going to record to? Magnetic media are still being developed and still
are following the density curve set years ago.

I'll personally wait a bit for HD-TiVo - but I WILL buy one - TiVo is
just too great a technology not to use. But I know it won't be as good
as the HDTV signal that it is attempting to record - good but in the
first iteration it won't be as nice as the 1080i signal it is
attempting.

We know we're getting somewhere when home camcorders are able to do
1080i or 720p onto an hour of tape. I can't WAIT for one of THOSE
puppies to replace my PD150s.

Adam