Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital usage
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 08:48:39 -0400

Dante,
I will go back to the source if I haven't tossed it.  The figures are from
PMA which is an international marketing association and the numbers are for
actual boxes sold, not a survey.  You have to exclude disposables because
they are used somewhat one time, a sale does not correspond very well to
exposures(many fleets keep on in glove compartment in case of accident).  In
N America each family shoots an average of 5.5 rolls of film a year whereas
in Atlanta the number is something over 7.

I do remember that SLR sales dropped below 1M for the first time with
something like a 25% decrease in units sold.

The analogy to 120 film is a good one, it is still readily available in a
variety of formulations.  My hope is that it will not be like 620 or 127.

Regarding the world, the majority of exposures are taken in N. America, W.
Europe, and the Asian rim countries.  The Asian rim countries probably
foretell the future and there the camera market is turning into a cell phone
market.  Although Joseph Yao could probably clue us in with much more
detailed information.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com