Subject: [Leica] And I Still haven't Found What I'm Looking For ...
From: Edward Caliguri <caliguri@rcn.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 21:30:48 -0400

I apologize to U2, but it's true. Even if all this new stuff is true, and it
is constantly proven to maybe be 'close' (all the talk of Nikon mounts, full
frame sensors, I even heard some say Leica's will be 1.3728x magnification
!!! Now that's obsessive ;-) ) With a new Fuji full frame S3, DSLR's are
just about born obsolete, it makes my stomach churn. George is right in many
ways. It's as if we are returning to the new car days of the fifties ---
Caddies with fins and more fins, 2 carbs are better than one, and better get
some cool white walls! Even Leica (and I bet Nikon, Canon and everyone else)
can see the absurdity of it all. I love the quote from the Leica lens R
series designer in LFI's latest (about the coming digi-back or whatever)
that, using the 280 F/4 APO Telyt, considered by them to be their BEST
optical performer for the R, one need cement it in place INSIDE a concrete
block with the lens poking out to steady it enough, and then find the
correct film with which to load the thing, in order to even attempt to
achieve in reality the resolution of which this glass is capable. No IS
system, no tripod - nothing could assist one in getting close to theoretical
resolution in reality. So why go 16, 18, 24 MP full frame? Why go full
frame? Nikon can - and I hope they and Leica do - push the envelope towards
developing the 1.3x chip to the greatest degree in order to show off their
glass. Then concentrate on making the camera around the sensor better (MUCH
more rugged for one thing) and faster - bigger sensors need big buffers.
Wouldn't you rather have a 1.3x sensor at 18 MP that can shoot 30 FPS - RAW
if you want? At any time? Then make some crafty firmware, be able to adjust
the 'Res up' in camera if you wish. Have the thing hold 4 CF cards in a RAID
system two in each; 1 and 0 (Safety and speed!).
    Yes - I know I'll be shooting film personally for a long while, and it
looks as if both the jolly Yellow and Green giants will keep improving
emulsions for while (Love that Ektachrome G); but I know I need to have pro
digital to survive in the marketplace - and I will.
    I just hope that folks start to see that the mantra of "MORE MegaPixels"
and "I NEED full frame" are not necessarily the only ones I hope the makers
see. however, if it comes down to money to be made (and when hasn't it?) I'm
afraid those roars will cancel out the squeaks some of us are trying to get
makers to hear.
    Still from the Analog World we live in,
        Ed

Replies: Reply from "Christopher Williams" <leicachris@worldnet.att.net> (Re: [Leica] And I Still haven't Found What I'm Looking For ...)