Subject: Re: [Leica] Non-Leica images
From: mcintyre@ca.inter.net
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 15:39:56 US/Eastern

Gene,

It's an HP S20xi. So far, I am pleased with the results. It's easy to use and quick. I
paid $75US for a new one off ebay,
from a seller called dealoutlet. With $35US shipping, exchange to $138 Cdn and the $40
customs duty, the total came to
around $180. I think they go in Canada for about $200 or more (plus taxes, 15%!) I think I
got an OK deal.

As for the overall quality, I would not use it for anything more than webscans or
"pleasing colour" small scans for pubs.
I no longer process my B&W. I get uncut negatives and a photoCD done at my local
photofinisher. If I compare
the scans I get from the HP to the ones I got from the photoCD, there is no comparison.
The photoCD is much, much
sharper. The HP can scan to a rated 2400dpi, but that is only part of the equation. But
since I have 100's of images I'd
like to see in a pseudo-printed version, this machine makes things a whole lot easier and
cheaper. Plus I can shoot
Kodachrome to get image quality and still email the in-laws cute pictures of their
grandchildren. ;-). And I can always ask
my friends who have higher-end scanners to give me a pro scan if needed.

Hope that helps,

BTW, it does colour negs quite well too. No more scanning off of matt surface, second
generation poorly printed photos!

<leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>