Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Interesting info concerning Ebay
From: Vick Ko <vick.ko@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 19:33:24 -0400

My personal rules have become:

1)  look for consistency in the item and its location.  A rare piece in
an odd-ball location says to me "don't bother"

2)  buy from familiar sellers.  Often they sell similar items.  Some are
commercial ventures (i.e. camera stores)

3)  if I find a rare item from an unfamiliar seller,  establish lengthy
communications to establish honesty and true condition/history of object.
        I have gotten a few very rare "found it in the attic, I can't
believe it's worth so much" items.  But so far, these are far and few
between.

4)  pleasantly  enough, the rarest and nicest items that I've found are
not ebay.   They've come from repeat private sales from ebay sellers who
run stores, advertising "Wanted" ads, contacting stores, and off-ebay
hunting.  I have been recently delighted at what asking "So do you have
a black enamel Leica-whatsit ...." has resulted in.

(  answer  -- no, no Leica-whatsit's, but I've got all this Nikon
rangefinder stuff.  Wanna see...   ;-)    )

Happy hunting

Vick