Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Nikon Digital SLR's
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 16:43:23 -0400

It's great if it produces a higher quality image - just as asa 25 film
produces a higher quality image than asa 800 film, or 2 1/4 film
produces a higher quality image than 35mm, and 4x5 produces a higher
quality image than 2 1/4. There is absolutely no question that a 4x5
Linhoff can produce a "higher quality" image than an EOS 1v - or a Leica
M7 - but you don't see allot of photo journalists running around with
4x5s anymore - the quality of the 35 is far more than good enough to
produce excellent images, and the 35 is far more convenient to use than
the 4x5. Similarly, a full-frame, 11 mgp sensor captures humongous
files, which fills up cards too damn fast - and takes too long between
images, for the kind of work many photo journalists do. Yes, the day may
come, and soon, when the storage is no longer an issue, and the speed
problem has been eliminated.

I have NEVER said that a full-frame, 11 mgp sensor, won't produce a
higher resolution image than a partial-frame sensor. What I have said is
that the quality being produced by those smaller sensors is damn good -
way more than sufficient for newspaper work and most magazine work.
Which means that if it chooses to do so - and I have heard that it has -
Nikon could stick with its present sensor size, improve the quality of
that sensor, build smaller, lighter lenses using its standard mount, and
make other improvements in its cameras that would help it keep its user
base.

Or maybe not.

I'm now out of this debate until we read/hear an announcement from Nikon
on its next set of pro cameras. :-)

B. D.