Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Bargin BAH!
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 23:10:43 EDT

In a message dated 6/4/03 5:06:54 PM, sonc@sonc.com writes:

<< I think we are bashing a guy for getting a bargain.

I gave a motorhome to Goodwill, and I thought it was worth at least $8000.

They ended up selling it for $1000.  Is that my problem?  Should the guy who

bought it go to confession because he got a bargain?

My daughter who lives in NYC, loves to come to the Goodwill in Natchitoches.

She stuck her hand into a barrel of scarves, and plucked out a silk one and

proudly paid the $2.

The point at Salvation Army and Goodwill, and all those stores (for us the

donors) is the giving.  What Salvation and Goodwill does with it is not our

affair.

Good on the guy for making a bargain. He will be predisposed to share his

mite with the Salvation Army when he is giving.  (And we don't know how much

he has given them in the past, nor do we know the condition of the camera.)

Sonny >>

Well Sonny, I'm the one who came down hard on the guy.

No one likes a bargain better than I....I probably, other than a few lurking
students on this list make the least amount of money than anyone else on the
LUG.

If the point of a charitable organization is let's say, to feed the starving
people, then the more money they make, the more people they feed.  I admit
that if the story was that the guy scored a $800 item for $5 from a Halliburton
fire sale, I might not feel the same or if the thrift store was to restore
someone's Cadillac collection I might feel different.  But it's the salvation
army, the point of them existing is not to provide a depository for people's old
shoes (I honestly don't think that's the purpose of Salvation Army's existence)
but to make money from their sale of the shoes and then to use that money to
provide services that the government isn't providing as much of even though
there's a huge need right now.

Maybe it's how you view a bargain.  I've had (still do) this fantasy of
trying to replicate turn of the century to 1930's pictoral and Hollywood glamour
images.  I've studied up on the classic 4x5 and 8x10 soft focus lenses (as well
as films/processing,etc).  Alas, I can't currently afford any of the lenses.
Two years ago I happened upon an "estate" sale.  It was pretty much a garage
sale set up so that the widow of the guy who died would at least be able to
have some spending money at the "care" facility she was going to be shipped off
to.  I came across a box of stuff and in the box (amongst other things) was
something one of the old guys that was helping out called the front of an old
"telescope" which I could have for $10.  Well it wasn't the front of an old
telescope it was a (9" -11"?) Wollensak Verito.  Not the best of shape but the lens
was clear and who cares, it was worth more than $10.  I had it in my hands
for at least 5 minutes before I told them what it was and gave them the name of
some places they should shop it around to.  Sure I could have bought it for
$10.   And if after telling the guy what it was worth,he shrugged his shoulders
and told me I could have it for $10 anyway, I would have got it.   Was I an
idiot for not quickly and quietly taking advantage of this bargain that landed
in my lap?  Given the tenor of this newsgroup, probably.   But personally, I
just couldn't stand the thought of thinking about the old lady in the nursing
home every time I shot some glamourous looking babe with it.

But that's just me.  Obviously the personal mileage on the LUG may vary.

Kim

Replies: Reply from "\(SonC\) Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com> (Re: [Leica] Leica Bargin BAH!)
Reply from "Greg J. Lorenzo" <gregj.lorenzo@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Leica Bargin BAH!)