Subject: [Leica] Slightly OT - Inkjet, There is no Holy Grail
From: "J. Gilbert Plantinga" <jgp@gilplant.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 11:07:23 -0400

Or why I still need two printers...

> On Fri May 2, 2003 I wrote:
>
> To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:Film vs Digital (Prints)
>
> The newest Epson 7-color printers (2200, 7600, 9600) can give you
> outstanding black and white prints. The key is in the profiling. I've
> recently bought a 2200, and ColorVision's "ProfilerPro Spectro"
> package (cost somewhat more than the printer itself), and I can create
> my own color profiles and control gray balance for any paper. No
> clogs. No banding. No dots in the highlights (endemic to most quad
> black systems except the original PeizographyBW and the successor
> ImageExportBW. The canned profiles that Epson supplies work very well
> with Epson papers; my custom-made profiles give me flexibility that
> the quad black systems only approach by switching inksets
> (warm-neutral, cool neutral etc.). I'm soon to sell my 1280 (next
> Friday?)
>
> And on Sat May 17, 2003 I wrote:
>
> To: streetphoto@topica.com
> Subject: OT: LCD monitor (was London 360s) and Printers
>
> BTW, I've also given up quad-black printing and now I'm doing both B&W
> and color on the Epson 2200. With OptiCal and the Spyder I also bought
> ColorVision's ProfilerPro Spectro. Profiling printer/ink/paper combos
> is royally tedious work, but the results surpass anything I could get
> with Piezography, the printer never bands or clogs, and I can have
> warm-toned, cool-toned or dead neutral B&W prints on any paper all
> from the same inkset, and I can soft-proof in Photoshop.

I'm going back to the Epson 1280 and the Sundance Quad Black Inks (Warm
Neutral) for my Black & White Printing. All of what I wrote above is
still true, but in evaluating my recent prints from the 2200, I failed
to notice or take into account one factor that never was a problem with
Piezography or it's successor, Image Export BW
<http://www.bwguys.com/software.aspx>, and that is METAMERISM.

Don't get me wrong, I love the prints I've been able to make with my
2200 and custom profiles, but I just moved to a new place and I'm
trying to decide what to hang where. Some of my prints showed a slight
green color cast in window light. I went back and tweaked the profile
in ColorVision (add a wee bit of magenta, no problem). Now the prints
look great in the window light, but they look magenta (Doh!) under the
incadescent in the hallway. Bummer =:O

Maybe it's the paper. These prints were on Epson Enhanced Matte. The
profile I made was better than the one included in the Epson driver.
But the main reason for getting into profiling was to be able to use
Hahnemule Photo Rag, my favorite paper for B&W inkjets. The Photo Rag
shows less color shift in varying light, but now I do see slight color
casts - some pictures look neutral in the window, some in the hall, but
none look right in both places.

I see that the Sundance/R9 folks are coming out with a "septone" ink
system for the 2200 using the same archival inks for black and white -
both warm and cool, mix them to taste; the software is a true RIP and
also works in color (switch inks), which sounds like the ideal
solution, BUT, it only works on Windoze machines and I'm committed to
Mac hardware. It comes down to a real estate choice - either I use two
printers and one computer or two computers and one printer. Since all
the hardware is already paid for my choice is a no-brainer.

Gilbert