Subject: [Leica] Use film, or block the panel - examples as requested
From: Johnny Deadman <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 10:03:41 -0400

On Friday, May 30, 2003, at 08:09  PM, Austin Franklin wrote:

>> It's like a mini ground glass (only right way up). The screen
>> gives you a different image than the viewfinder - two dimensional
>> rather
>> than three. And psychologically different than the "tunnel"
>> vision on an SLR
>
> I've used LCD viewfinders for quite some time on digital cameras, and
> don't
> find that to be true...for me...nor have I ever, in the many many
> people
> I've spoken to about the virtues/foibles of LCD finders ever mentioned
> such
> a "thing".

Well, it's a commonplace amongst the CP5000 users I know.

> I'd like for you (or Johnny) to show an example.

Short answer:

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/wip/circle-of-fifths/source/2003-04-28_12-
07-11.html

This was shot by holding the camera out over a void and using the LCD
to compose. There is no way I could conceivably have framed this using
the viewfinder.

Another short answer:

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/portfolios/la/pages/001.html

The flower was only about twelve inches away from a wall. Using a w/a
adapter I held the camera out against the wall from the side. I am only
just out of frame.

A much longer answer:

All of this project was shot using the LCD and I believe it is
substantially different from anything I have shot using the viewfinder.
I'm not saying I couldn't have seen it through the viewfinder, but that
I *wouldn't*.

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/wip/circle-of-fifths/

I have long since given up trying to convince Austin of anything but
other people might find this illuminating.

For all action shooting I use the viewfinder (and the DSLR, not the
CP5000).

- --
John Brownlow

pictures: