Subject: Re: [Leica] The new digital reality -
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 22:21:20 -0700

Michael Chmilar wrote:

> This is what will separate the "great" photographers from
> the rest. The great photographer will know to wait for the
> meaningful shot.<<<

Digital or otherwise, what sorts out the good photographer from the other
photographer is very basic, it's the one who is always "First there.. & ..
Last to leave!"

That's what sorts out the great, good etc etc from the, "I got it types."

As I believe BD said, "Digital is merely another type of film." or words to
that effect. And although I'm tempted to get into digital gear I see
absolutely no advantage to it for a photojournalist like myself who does
documentary work and special advertising photo projects.

I rarely see any conversation that digital will make one a better
photographer, see better or compose better. It's all about speed and rarely
about the quality of the content which is the soul of the picture.

There's the on going comments about an M digital that it would be the cats
ass and I want one and .........blah blah!  What all these people don't
understand is....... you can't make a digital M camera in identical
configuration, certainly at the moment that'll do what many of us do with a
film loaded M whatever model one owns. Yep some day.  Maybe.

Yes I'm blown away with what I see produced by digital cameras and at the
moment my son is visiting from Ottawa while on a two week assignment here in
town, absolutely amazing photographs and quality, so I'm no stranger to
digital. Quite frankly his results are fantastic, however his camera, a
Canon of some type cost around $12,000.

Actually at the 1992 Winter Olympics in Albertville, France I shot for a few
days with a prototype digital camera for Eastman Kodak, now you want to play
with a big box with a "picture window" in the top to see what you shot while
it hung on your shoulder like an old Multiblitz strobe unit connected to a
camera. Weighed a ton as I remember.

It was exciting to use as long as one had battery power :-(  And for that
time the image and eventual print quality were pretty good, but it was a
prototype and I can truly say.... "We've come along way baby!" :-)

Me? I think I'll just remain a film kind of guy for sometime to come. Well
OK until I see what some of you lads have been talking about, a "digital
kind of rig for an R8-R9." ;-)

ted
Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant