Subject: [Leica] OT: Courtesy and Civility - Blame the X-BOX!
From: Edward Caliguri <caliguri@rcn.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 10:49:43 -0400

Ted, all-

In a large part, I put a blame on much of our fast paced Digital World and
it's side creations. The behavior it can 'suggest' is abhorring. We just
bought our 8 year old an X-Box; Mostly to get him off the computer to play
games and to TRY and use our Mac in a more 'productive' way. He was getting
around it anyway by going to other kids houses that had 'em.
HAVE YOU SEEN SOME OF THE STUFF YOU CAN BUY FOR THIS THING??!!
I wish I had researched it further. A friend had told me there are
educational programs for it - so I bought ALL 3. But I have to get him away
from this thing! Even in these "E" for Everyone rated games, the language,
the portrayal of the cities and people in it, the loud Rap style music (I
understand it's value, but an 8 year old doesn't) .. Go above E rated to
"Teen -T" - some examples come with the thing - and I can't bear to see it
knowing kids all over are on this thing when the sun is shining and the
birds are singing outside etc. Go above T or all the way to Adult - but be
near a bathroom ready to loose lunch! It's that sick. I hope he hasn't seen
these at other homes. One saving grace is that it plays DVD's -- WOW! And he
is interested in making videos of the outdoors, sports; so now I will allow
him use of my little DV-Cam - unrestricted. Teach him edit and DVD software
use and HOPE that he turns into a little Spielberg - a bit.
I know I can't "blanket blame" this thing, but I know many parents use it as
a babysitter. Their kids repeat words they hear on it, my kid now as well.

My parents said the same about TV and our generation, but this is worse -
much worse. Maybe I am overreacting - but I think not.

Ted - you have to share the name of those meds with me :-)

Replies: Reply from "Nathan Wajsman (private)" <nathanw@bluewin.ch> (Re: [Leica] OT: Courtesy and Civility - Blame the X-BOX!)