Subject: Re: [Leica] Voightlander 28mm
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 01:15:18 -0700

Silentium wrote:

> Hello All;
>     Does anyone have any experience/comments on the Voightlander Ultron 28mm
> f1.9?  Is it worth the money, the economy is not quite there for the 28mm
> summicron.  In the meantime i am seeking an alternative.
>
> Thanxs. Al Sendon

Hi nice to meet you Al if the SUMMICRON-M ASPH. f/2/28 mm was sold at
twice the price it would still be a bargain and could easily be the best
and most useful lens in the 35mm format. You want to pay less buy it
used the analog photographers are selling off their Hasselblads and 35mm
film cameras like lemmings to buy more digital gear.

I don't care what any of my good friends say about the Voigtländer.
The major thing to me about it is it is not a Leica.
And it is not a Voigtländer.
And it is not Cosina. Opps I mean it is Cosina!

So you are not getting into Leica, you are not getting into Voigtländer.
You are getting into Cosina.
Which is just great i may get their 45 2.8 they are making for Nikon but
i am doing it knowing that i have a dozen lenses and a half dozen bodies
in that system; all made by Nikon. (Most 80's vintage that I could not
collectively sell to buy be a new Noctilux)

I say wait another paycheck or job and start off with the best lens in
35mm photography. The camera means nothing. It is the lens which
matters. And Leica has the best glass in the business, that's what makes
it the best system and first system for me at least.

This may sound unusual because i jest mentioned Nikon. But Nikon is an
SLR. Leica is a rangefinder. Which is the apple and which is the orange?
 I could not go (or stay) with Leica R (SLR) which always had a
personality and even lens quality all its own because of the lack of
digital body.

Don't buy half assed glass.  :)

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA