Subject: [Leica] Oh ... It's COMING SOON! :-)
From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 08:24:32 +0100

The Olympus reasoning seems plausible enough. If 35mm quality will be
available from digital with chips smaller than 35mm film - which my
experience says it will, and a 35mm size chip can produce MF quality in
the future then it is hardly a big deal getting excited about cameras
with chips smaller than 35mm if 35mm is what is being supplanted.
The question is not whether a full sized chip is the thing but, if
smaller chips are as good as 35mm film then how do we end up with
cameras to exploit this fact. 35mm reflex flange to film plane
distances and throat diameters are non optimum for such a solution.
Sadly marketing will decide in the end as usual, not engineering.
Frank