Subject: RE: [Leica] Weary Wire - BD's comment
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 10:10:53 -0400

Your response to my comment raises a very interesting and, in the
context of the LUG, important question, Paul:

Do people post because they want criticism and comment, or because they
want their arses kissed? If I didn't believe it was the later, I
wouldn't even comment. And I rarely if ever comment if I can't say
something constructive.

As to you feeling that Weary Wire is technically and esthetically
excellent, that's what makes for horse races - my take on it is that the
idea was technically and esthetically excellent; the execution was
anything but. I don't say that, as I'm sure you assume I do, because
it's a landscape. Landscape is certainly not my thing, but I can
appreciate an excellent landscape when I see one.

On the other hand, Bill's photo from the previous week merits inclusion
in any collection of truly outstanding images of Americana. IT is
technically and esthetically outstanding - it is beautifully composed,
beautifully exposed; it is at once heart-breaking and ambiguous. In my
opinion, it is the equal of much of the work in Frank's "The Americans,"
and is better than the vast majority of the Hallmark Card swill in the
original "Family of Man."

But don't worry, Paul, I won't ever comment on any photo of yours -
unless I'm prepared to tell you that I think it belongs in a collection
of great 21st Century Photography.

BTW - If you had really read my comment, you'd know that it doesn't, as
you suggest, seem to say "Why did you waste your film on that shot?" If
you'd read it - and given it some thought - you'd know that what it says
is "I know precisely why you wasted your film on that shot." ;-)

Best,

B. D.