Subject: Re: [Leica] Photography?
From: Carl Pultz <cpultz@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 09:24:56 -0400

Michael wrote:
"Long before there was Photoshop, there was Rene Magritte!"

Ha! Right on. But if Rene had grown up with Photoshop and Ullesman, would
he have used an enlarger or a scanner rather than a brush? I don't know
.... it still would have meant more than Ms. Schuster's work appears to -
or Ullesman's, IMHO.

There seems to be a lot of this kind of work grabbing attention, and
publishing contracts judging from what crowds the shelves at B&N. Are
publishers or the public tired of plain olde photography? Certainly this
kind of technique can be used to make meaningful images, but few people do.
What is the purpose of this kind of work? Is it all just samples targeted
to "art" directors that say, "look at the cool vodka ad I can make for you?"

I saw one impressive volume of non-traditional photography recently. A guy
does elaborately constructed interior and exterior setups of bizarre,
haunting, surreal scenes set in worn-out suburban neiborhoods. The cover
photo is of a room partially flooded with a woman layed out, floating or
being flooded. Anyone seen it? Wish I could remember the guy's name.

The book is fascinating and strangely moving. It's all as pre-planned and
artificial as any Hollywood set. (And as collaborative - each shot required
a huge crew to create it.) The fact that the actual photography is pretty
straight doesn't really matter. If he had 'shopped it all, they would still
be powerful images, because the work comes from an intelligence that has
layers, rather than from a technique that uses Layers but does not support
any meaning.

I love good abstract expressionism. I hate kitchy, gee-wiz graphic "art,"
however it's produced. Like another genre that takes up a lot of shelf
space, beefcake soft-porn, it's titillating but almost never concerned with
more than surface beauty. Or any beauty at all.

Maybe Elle has some real photography up her sleeve, but this is what sells?

Best to all,

Carl