Subject: [Leica] "A Russian Journal" by Steinbeck and Capa
From: "Nathan Wajsman (private)" <nathanw@bluewin.ch>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 00:13:09 +0200

Some time ago someone here recommended the above book, and I picked it
up at Foyles in London a couple of month ago. This evening I finished
reading it and can heartily recommend it to all lovers of good writing
and good photography. For those who are not familiar with it, the book
is an account of a trip Steinbeck and Capa made to the Soviet Union in
the summer of 1947. Their purpose was simply to see how ordinary Russian
lived, with little or no political overtones (insofar as that is
possible). They spent a couple of months in Moscow, Kiev, Georgia. While
Capa's photographs are of variable quality, not helped by paperback
reproduction, the combination of the pictures with Steinbeck's wonderful
writing is simply fantastic. At the end of the day it is clear that what
they saw was highly arranged, and Steinbeck is clearly aware of that,
but nonetheless the book is extremely enjoyable.

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland