Subject: [Leica] Summicron 50mm/2 DR from 1958
From: "Christian Vik" <christian.vik@konge.net>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 09:55:34 +0200

Hi,

I just bought a summicron 5cm/2 DR (with "viewer" add-on) and a 90mm/2.8
elmarit for approx 220 usd. The 50mm lens (or 5cm as it says on the
lens) is according to the serialnr from 1958 and was made in Wetzlar,
Germany. There are no defects/damages on the optics, and the mechanics
couldn't be more perfect (in fact a lot better than my newer lenses!).
The lens also has a Leitz UVa filter mounted (and always has according
to the one I bought the lens from - who owned it the last 10 years when
it was bought from a store).

I haven't had the time to test it properly yet but I wonder about a few
things:
How is the optical qualities of such an old lens compared to a newer
one.
Also, what is the optical qualities when used in near-range ("macro")
mode (0,45cm near focus limit).

And also, although not important but I'm curious, what is the value for
such a lens.

- --
Regards,
Christian Vik