Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: What is difference between Documentary Photography and Photojournalism
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 11:28:01 -0700

Ernest Nitka asked:
>"What is difference between Documentary Photography and Photojournalism?<<

Hi Ernie,
In my case I use both terms depending on the type of assignment I'm
shooting. Where the assignment pertains to a what we might call a "news
related" topic I'm a photojournalist.

On the other hand when I, or as Sandy Carter and I did this past
winter/spring, were documenting the lives of Women in Medicine for our
"Women in Medicine" book. In that case we might or could be called
documentary photographers.

In reality anyone who tells stories with photographs or exhibits material
taken in a photojournalistic style, IE: usually available light and life as
it's happening would be a photojournalist regardless of subject.

Many years ago a photojournalist usually meant a photographer working for a
magazine and or an agency like Magnum.

However, today it seems there are as many photojournalists as there are
stars in the heavens. ;-) So if you're confused use whichever term makes you
feel good on any given day. :-)

ted