Subject: RE: [Leica] word on the street - changes to MP already!
From: grduprey@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 11:36:05 -0500

The iso/asa control which it has been determined is going to be common
between the M7/MP.  The dial on the MP is not the same as the one used on
the M7.  The one on the MP is the same as used on the M6/M6TTL which has
ASA and DIN, the one used on the M7 has ASA, exposure compensation and DX
code positions.  The proposed change to the MP as brought up here by those
talking to their Leica reps., is for the MP to use the same dial as the M7
which would have positions for functions not in the MP.  This is a poor
decision in my opinion and would not look professional.  After all they are
advertising it as a back to basics, battery independent (except for the
light meter) camera and now they are putting a control dial with labeling
for ASA and now for DX coding, and Exposure compensation scales on it from
a camera that has electronic functions which are not even in the camera.
It just seems a bit goofy for them to go to the trouble to redesign the
gears for quieter operation, redesign the rangefinder/finder optics and
make other expensive changes, and then get cheap on the film speed control
dial area.  It makes better sense to me, that if they want to control costs
and use the same items between the two cameras, then using the same wind
lever, shutter dial type, lens release button, body covering, rewind and
lens selector controls make far better sense than the proposed change.  But
then, I realize that Leica like most other companies go to the most obvious
solutions only as a last resort. :-)

Enough of this, let's find a better topic...
Gene

                      Tim Atherton
                      <tim@KairosPhoto.com>               To:       leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
                      Sent by:                            cc:
                      owner-leica-users@mejac.palo        Subject:  RE: [Leica] word on the street - changes to MP already!
                      -alto.ca.us

                      05/13/2003 09:33 AM
                      Please respond to
                      leica-users

> Gentleman, gentlemen! Perhaps it is just a matter of product
> rationalization? Why make two slightly different parts when one can do
> both jobs?
>
> John Collier

You mean the MP and the M7...? Or just the iso knobs :-)