Subject: Re: [Leica] Agfa photo contest - 12 Leica cameras
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 23:10:20 -0400

Tina Manley wrote:
> At 09:10 PM 5/9/2003 -0400, you wrote:
> Tina,
>
>> I believe the language means that your are transferring all rights
>> relevant to the competition. I think this has become standard practice
>> with photographic contests sponsored by reputable entities. They
>> understand that the "all rights" thing is untenable.
>>
>> Having said that, I'm not an attorney, so I'll wait for someone else
>> to step in. But that is my reading of the language.
>>
>> Rolfe
>

> Rolfe -
>
> If you read any of the EP (http://www.editorialphoto.com/) messages,
> this is one of the worst scams that publishers use with photographers.
> They grab all rights (that is what you are signing away) and hope to get
> good enough photographs to use for their advertising campaigns without
> paying advertising rates.  Believe me, once you sign away "all rights",
> as it states in this contract, you will have no rights left to lease
> your photograph to anyone else.  Any reputable contest now assigns all
> rights to the photographer, as it should be.  Your copyright is
> established once you click the shutter, but for legal rights you have to
> register the photo with the US copyright office.  Publishers take
> advantage of photographers who don't know the value of their own
> material and it lowers the value of all photographs.
>
> Before you consider selling any photographs or entering any contests,
> please consult the EP website.  Every time you sell or give away a
> photograph for less than the established rate, you are hurting every
> photographer who is trying to make a living leasing photographs.
>
> Tina

Tina,

I couldn't agree more. I do think the Agfa wording is intended to limit
Agfa's rights to the stated uses. They are a reputable company and don't
need to do the scam thing, which I agree is widespread with these
contest things.

Rolfe

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014

Replies: Reply from "Nathan Wajsman (private)" <nathanw@bluewin.ch> (Re: [Leica] Agfa photo contest - 12 Leica cameras)
Message from Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net> (Re: [Leica] Agfa photo contest - 12 Leica cameras)
Message from Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net> (Re: [Leica] Agfa photo contest - 12 Leica cameras)