Subject: Re: [Leica] Darkroom now digital pluses
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 07:31:54 -0700

Don Dory wrote:

> Dante,
> I will mention the pluses of a digital workflow for me.
> 1) complete repeatability once a print is satisfactory
> 2)local contrast/density/sharpness easily controlled down to the pixel level
> 3)easy global contrast control  at whatever point in the curve you want to
> change contrast without unsharp masks, pencils, split developers etc.
> 4)spotting time drastically reduced
> 5)working in the light interacting with the family
> 6)no chemical fumes/strange chemical failures
> 7)potentially longer life of prints
> 8)by making a digital negative I can still make a silver print if called for
> 9)if color materials used initially can imitate filters after exposure
>
> Don
> dorysrus@mindspirng.com
>
> --

I'm looking at this as mainly a darkroom guy and not seeing it.

> I will mention the pluses of a digital workflow for me.
> 1) complete repeatability once a print is satisfactory
I have heard of no repeatability problem in darkroom printing in less
you are using a cold light. Which i use. And its not a problem. There
isn't any.

> 2)local contrast/density/sharpness easily controlled down to the pixel level
The pixies in my darkroom are the ones who move my scissors around in
the dark as I'm loading my film!!!
Especially with split printing i get local control of contrast. No
pixels thank god!!!!
Yea I'll admit its fun to do that stuff with Photoshop. But when I go
down to the darkroom i don't miss it one small bit. I don't look at a
print and go "gee which the ground over there was contrast number 4 and
wish that cloud over there was contrast #1!"

> 3)easy global contrast control  at whatever point in the curve you want to
> change contrast without unsharp masks, pencils, split developers etc.
Contrast control is just not a problem in the darkroom. There is more
than one way to do it depending on how much you are into it. It can be
done in the enlarger head (lots to choose from) or in the developer or
split developers. Its not an advantage in the digital workplace to not
have to deal with chemistry and enlarger heads. It's just a different
territory you do what the Romans do. I don't yearn of a tray of Dektol
here in my computer room anymore than i year for Photoshop curves in my darkroom.

> 4)spotting time drastically reduced
No just hours and hours and hours cloning. That's spotting only you're
grabbing the image from right next to it instead of a dish of spot-tone.

> 5)working in the light interacting with the family
exactly why its nice to go down to the darkroom.

> 6)no chemical fumes/strange chemical failures
My chemicals are practically odorless as i don't put hardener in my fix
and I've never had a strange chemical "failure" in 30 years of darkroom
work I assume you mean Xtol and if that's the case it's not the Xtol
which fails its the technique of the people using it. I had a direct
positive kit fail when developing a bunch of Panatomic x as positives.
that was 1979.

> 7)potentially longer life of prints
potentially maybe but right now a huge advantage to darkroom printing is
the life of the prints and their value on the market therefore. No one
trust the inkjets on this issue. Sure eventually they will not fade as
you look at them.

> 8)by making a digital negative I can still make a silver print if called for
And go down to the darkroom? You might get chemical poisoning or the
pixies 'll get you.
I'd love to get into platinum printing with larger negs output from
digital sources.

> 9)if color materials used initially can imitate filters after exposure
Make a print from a color neg onto Panalure paper and the same things
apply. Only in reverse of course as you are working from a negative. A
blue filter would do what an orange filter does in the field

> Don

The best perspective i can recommend when one is flush with Photoshop
fever is to just go down to the darkroom again. You'll be amazed on how
non boring it is! And  you get to listen to your favorite music real
loud! And be under the influence of strange safelights! think of all the
great movies with great darkroom scenes!

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com

Replies: Reply from Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us> (Re: [Leica] Darkroom now digital pluses)