Subject: Re: [Leica] Darkroom
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 13:19:56 -0600

I cannot speak for the rest of the population on this planet but, for
me, digital is not there yet.

First and primary is the quality of the viewfinder in digital cameras.
I do not want an LCD screen, I want a crystal clear viewfinder like the
one in my M cameras. The M finder is the closest thing to not having
anything in my way when photographing. I already see the photo and
squinty finders or LCDs where I cannot see everything (and I am not
even looking at the subject) just get in the way.

Second I want a simple manual camera. I do not want umpteen dozen
programs, special effects and what not. I already know how light works
and I already know what I want. So I just want a camera that does not
get in the way. One that does not require me to carry a 200 page manual
to adjust #%&$ aperture.

Third I want manual focus. I dislike noise and I do not care for auto
focus. In a fast moving situation I can quickly set the focus and go. I
do not want to find out afterwards that my camera found something more
interesting to focus on and I do not want to wait for it to get around
to focusing!

Fourth I need a film recorder that can print positives that look as
good as my projected slides. I am sorry but the file size necessary to
make a 4 foot by 6 foot projected image look good is too expensive to
handle for an amateur. I get my present positives cheap. They last a
long time. They do not require frequent backing up. They are easy to
transport and inexpensive to project. I can project a 500 slides at a
sitting with ease and no waiting between images.

Do I think that the rest of the world wants what I want? NO. But until
it comes along, I will stick with my M cameras and slide film. When it
does come along, I will switch with no qualms or regrets. I am not
sentimentally attached to my cameras, lenses and films. They are just
tools to get a job done.

John Collier