Subject: Re: [Leica] copyright violation
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 18:41:36 -0700

On 4/28/03 Ted Grant  wrote:

>Screw it! The sooner amateurs and many professionals realize having a
>picture ripped off on the internet is a crime, no different than robbing a
>bank, the sooner many of us will receive reasonable compensation for our
>efforts.

But that's the problem, of course. There is a strong belief today that
"intellectual property" is without merit. If I see it and I want it, I can have
it, the thinking goes.

This is especially true for music as Napster proved and there is a culture, a
growing culture, amongst the young that says its just fine to take someone's
music, photography, video and use it as you will. Simply because they WANT it
and don't want to pay for it.

I find this infuriating beyond words.

It's the reason I don't provide links into any of the images I post and I urge
people not to point from their own sites to anyone else's site because once it's
found by Google it's there for everyone.

I'm not sure if the Apple slideshows are relatively secure since they use
javascripts to help protect the images from downloading - although you can
always make screen shots.

If you can see it, though, you can steal it.

Adam Bridge

Replies: Reply from "Seth Rosner" <sethrosner@direcway.com> (Re: [Leica] copyright violation)