Subject: RE: [Leica] ASPH Flare and harsh Bokeh
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 10:20:36 -0400

Frank - When I shoot with the 35 1.4 ASPH it is almost always set at
1.4, or damn close to it, and I can honestly say I have never lost a
single image to flare -(of course I do not take photos of the sun, like
Richard Man.

And Tom Pastorello - I, too, shoot close and wide open. And while I said
I am concerned about the subject, and not the bokeh, if the bokeh was
such a problem that people/clients looked at the images and said,
'Yuch!,' I wouldn't use the lens. I'd suggest renting or borrowing a 35
Summilux ASPH, rather than making your decisions on the basis of
someone's bench tests - and totally subjective analysis of what is
observed in those bench tests. Remember, we're not talking about
decentering here - which can be measured - we're talking about the
appearance of an image. And I don't care if someone has 18 degrees in
optics and 100 years experience - that person's going to like what
they're going to like, and you are going to like what you are going to
like.

All of that said, if the new Cosina 35 1.2 is as flare resistant,
contrasty and sharp as the Summilux, I'll be putting my Summilux up for
sale. ;-)

B. D.