Subject: Re: [Leica] Minolta 28mm f3.5 Rokkor-X
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 20:40:10 -0400

Slobodan,

If you mean the Minolta 28mm F2.8 for the CLE then that is a passing fair
lens.  Central sharpness is good wide open although it falls off pretty fast
until F4 or so.  By 5.6 it is a mighty fine lens.  My sample flares pretty
heavily but it suffers somewhat from the cement separation that this lens is
known for.  Contrast is not as good as the later 28 Elmarits but it is
small.  I don't know about the viewfinder thing, I use mine on an M3.

If you are looking for a small lens, try a clean sample of the Canon 28mm
F2.8  It is sharp, doesn't flare as much, is somewhat contrast challenged
wide open, and the prices have come down quite a bit.  If speed doesn't
matter then the Canon 28 F3.5 is a very good lens, consideration given to
single coating from the 50's.

If size isn't an issue get the new 28 Summicron, Stunningly good, flare
resistant/free, great contrast.  I've even noticed some going at KEH in the
$1200 range although my sources tell me there was oil on the diaphragm
blades.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com

Replies: Reply from Slobodan Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Minolta 28mm f3.5 Rokkor-X)