Subject: [Leica] Digital slightly OT
From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 20:05:32 +0100

this is actually what I expect also. It seems that a compelling
engineering reason pales into total insignificance in the face of a
compelling marketing reason :)
None of the 35mm lenses are suitable for the system (or optimised for
digital) so, in any case, new lenses would have to be designed by
everybody. i believe digital optimised lenses have been produced for
LF, though I do not know in what way they have been optimised. It is
sad to think that as photography becomes digital it will never be as
good as its potential would allow - just like videos, computers.......
Perhaps their theory is wrong, or more hopefully someone engineers a
sensor which is effectively thin enough.