Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital Aesthetic
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 15:19:23 -0400

Jim - I think you may be further confusing things...;-)

First off, deciding against a 1Ds because it may get upgraded makes less
than no sense - unless you are a sports or other high-speed shooter who
will need to upgrade to get higher-fps speeds as they come along. For
the rest of us, the quality a 1Ds with its 35 mm full-frame, 11 mg
sensor is all anyone would need for a lonnnnng time to come.

Second issue - I think what you are really talking about in terms of the
second matter is the problem of change in focal length. If one is a
wide-angle shooter, then multiplying the focal length of the lens by a
factor of 1.3-1.6 is a real problem. All of a sudden a 35 becomes a  56,
and a 21 becomes a 33.6, which is hardly a super wide...Further, you're
limited in terms of high speed lenses, unless you go to Canon. The Canon
24 1.4 becomes, about a 38 1.4 - but then the great canon 50 1.4 becomes
about an 80 1.4.

But in terms of the "look?" a 38 1.4 is a 38 1.4 in terms of dof...so
it's going to be close to the 35 1.4...as to the Noctilux, given that I
hate the Noctilux look...;-)...but the 85 1.2 is supposed to be a
magnificent lens, so what you'd have is a 130 1.2 in digital...

BUT - if you go for the 1Ds and the full-frame sensor, none of this is a
problem...and you then have the option of using Canon's 24 1.4, 35 1.4,
50 1.4, 85 1.2 etc. etc...plus wides down to about 14 2.8....

B. D.