Subject: Re: [Leica] DOF tech stuff was Digital Aesthetic
From: "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 12:04:06 -0700

Johnny,
I have two video cameras - a Sony PD-100, which uses 1/4" CCDs, and a
PD-150, which uses larger 1/3" CCDs.  Now, when I put both cameras side by
side on tripods, set them to the same aperture, and frame a shot
identically, the PD-150 picture exhibits markedly shallower depth of field
than the PD-100.  And when you do the same comparison with a camera that has
2/3" chips, again set to the same aperture, and with the subject framed
exactly the same, the 2/3" camera 's picture exhibits even less DOF than the
other two.

Why is that?

- --Jim