Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital Aesthetic
From: "Red Dawn" <reddawn@singnet.com.sg>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 10:23:46 +0800

Hi Jim,

> I'm sure you wouldn't get the same composition.  Put a 28mm lens on your R
> camera and frame a subject.  Notice the subject's size relative to
> background objects/subjects.  Now, put a 50mm lens on your R and frame so
> that the main subject is the same size as with the 28mm.  Subjects in the
> background in the 28mm photo will appear smaller in relation to the main
> subject than the photo taken with the 50mm.

yes that's correct, because you have changed the subject distance when u try
to frame the same composition with a 28mm and 50mm lenses. Therefore
perspective changes.

Btw wat i was comparing was using a Canon 50mm f1.4 lens on a digital SLR
like the EOS 10D, where the effective focal length would be 50 x 1.6 = 80mm,
versus usng a true 80mm lens like the Summilux R 80 f1.4 on a Canon EOS 1v
film body, or a R8 for that matter.

BOTH configurations will have the same angle of view, and will be able to
frame the same subject with the same composition and magnification, and in
my own opinion, produce pictures with the same DOF.

> With a DSLR that crops 40% of the frame is that to get a field of view
> equivalent to a 50mm lens on a film camera, you will be using
approximately
> a 31mm lens.  And your photos will look like they were taken with a 31mm
> lens and cropped.  The perspective is different.

NO NO.....unless i'm seriously deluded, (and God help me if i am),
perspective is NOT lens dependent, but dependent on subject distance ie
distance from photographer to the subject!

therefore, when u use that mythical 31mm lens to take a shot, you would be
standing at the SAME DISTANCE from the subject as if u were to take the same
shot using a 50mm lens on a normal film body - assuming the magnification of
the subject and the composition is exactly the same. When both cameras are
at the same distance, the perspective is the same!

> Also, remember that 50mm f1.4 lenses are common, whereas 31 (ok 28mm) f1.4
> lenses are rare and exotic.  Hence, you'll most likely be shooting at f2.0
> or f2.8, resulting in even less potential for shallow depth of field than
> the 50 on the film camera.

this i agree. Yes it is diffcult to find equivalent lenses to "simulate"
focal lengths that one has always been used to.....

boon hwee

Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] OT - National Geographic film usage)
Message from "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com> ([Leica] Digital Aesthetic)
Message from "Red Dawn" <reddawn@singnet.com.sg> (Re: [Leica] Digital Aesthetic)