Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital Aesthetic
From: "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 10:51:20 -0700

I'm sure you wouldn't get the same composition.  Put a 28mm lens on your R
camera and frame a subject.  Notice the subject's size relative to
background objects/subjects.  Now, put a 50mm lens on your R and frame so
that the main subject is the same size as with the 28mm.  Subjects in the
background in the 28mm photo will appear smaller in relation to the main
subject than the photo taken with the 50mm.

With a DSLR that crops 40% of the frame is that to get a field of view
equivalent to a 50mm lens on a film camera, you will be using approximately
a 31mm lens.  And your photos will look like they were taken with a 31mm
lens and cropped.  The perspective is different.

Also, remember that 50mm f1.4 lenses are common, whereas 31 (ok 28mm) f1.4
lenses are rare and exotic.  Hence, you'll most likely be shooting at f2.0
or f2.8, resulting in even less potential for shallow depth of field than
the 50 on the film camera.

- --Jim